The introduction of mechanical devices into an environment always raises the issues of available space and the reach of the device. Comparisons among devices along the criteria of space and reach bring out the salient characteristics of ceiling lifts:
- Ceiling lifts do not occupy floor area.
- Ceiling lifts do not require turning space.
- Ceiling lifts pass through narrow passages, go around tight corners and transfer from room to room.
- Ceiling lifts function in small bedrooms or operating rooms and in the restricted confines of bathrooms.
- Ceiling lifts do not require base clearance and so can access any bed, hospital table, bathtub, sofa, toilet, or shower stall.
- Ceiling lifts reach over pools and spas.